Sunday, September 27, 2009

Just add water

We had macaroni and cheese tonight. Which is fine, and something that Kurt and I have done before. We usually toss in some tuna for a little extra protein, just in case that scary orange cheese powder is really as devoid of nutritional value as it looks. No, mac and cheese for dinner is nothing new for us crazy newlyweds. However when you consider that it is the most complete meal I have served/eaten in the last four days, it is a little worrisome. But such is the life of a single parent.

Three weeks ago, Kurt and I took the leap into instant parenthood, a task I recommend only for the brave or for those lacking any self-preservation instincts. For those who know us, it came as no surprise. Brittany and Brianna have been part of my life, and then Kurt's life, since they were a mere 14 days old. Just before school started (notice the clear lack of self-preservation on my part) we decide to have these darling 2.5-year-olds come and take up residence in our abode. Just during the week, mind you. So, overnight, we went from being happily childless-for-now, with thoughts of children still blissfully just beyond the horizon, to parents to two wild and crazy toddlers. Which all comes back to explaining why, with Kurt out of town, I spent Friday night curled up in the Pepto-Bismol chair, eating chips and cheese dip and drinking beer, and watching TV until I fell asleep. It may not have been a nutritional meal, but for those few hours, babyland resumed its earlier place in the land of my dreams.

No comments: