Monday, March 10, 2008

Ben Carson: M.D.

Whew! And here I was thinking that I would be this awesome blogger, recording my every experience with eloquence beyond my years. Now it's been over a week since my last post, and I am only barely able to keep my eyes open to finish this sentence....

Today was field trip day, thanks to the lovely and talented Lisa Rowe, the fourth grade teacher at my school and the best, most hilarious mentor a girl could ask for. The fourth, fifth and sixth grades set out on what one of my students referred to as a "cheese bus", bound for Baltimore to bask in the presence of the apparently-well-known-but-new-to-me Dr. Ben Carson. My students read his biography last year and did some sort of report, so they knew much more about him than me. For those unenlightened ones of you out there, he is the chief of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins teaching hospital. (I'm still not sure what's up with the name Johns Hopkins, which rolls rather awkwardly off the tongue, but that is a mystery for another day.) Dr. Carson was giving a talk entitled THINK BIG, which was part motivational speech and part "let's look at nasty pictures of babies with enormous tumors". Fortunately, my students are banned from having snack this week, so no actual sickness occurred on their part. However, after seeing the pic of the boy with the metal rod through his eye, I imagine they will think twice before going sledding any time soon.

Overall, despite the aforementioned pictures, the field trip was a success, and nothing is cuter than watching a bunch of fifth graders fall asleep on the bus ride home like the little kids they still are inside.

Before I fall into bed, I want to link to a poem that often comes to mind when I think about teaching. More than any inspirational, sickly sweet chicken soup, it single-handedly encapsulates so much about teaching in a few short verses. The language is a bit PG-13 at times, but it is too fabulous not to share.

What Teachers Make, or
Objection Overruled, or
If things don't work out, you can always go to law school


Amen to that.

2 comments:

Annemarie/MAMO said...

i want someone to write a poem like that about me - how powerful. Love you LI BI, MAMO

Unknown said...

I love the poem. It is so true. When will teachers get the props they deserve? Keep up the good work Miss K.