Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Do You Hear What I Hear?

How many times a day do I say the same thing over again? My coworker and I often joke that we would save ourselves a lot of energy if we just had a little keyboard, where each key would utter, rather than a high C or a low G, a phrase that as teachers, we have worn all the way out. We have come up with a few essentials, including, "Sit down", "Stop bothering him", "No, you may not go to the bathroom", and "Get out your copybook". I suggested that the keyboard also include a button for each student, so with a simple two-finger move, I could play, "James, sit down". If it were really high-tech, it would record how many times each student's name button was pressed in a day, and when a student reached some maximum (having pushed too many buttons, so to speak), a trap door would open up and slide her directly into the office. I'm telling you, this new invention would be way more useful than the new iPod 8000 or whatever they're on these days.

On the topic of listening, or lack thereof, we have started doing some listening exercises in class. The ones we have done in the past few day have been from at 3rd and 4th grade book, but they seem to be working out so far. The activities are basically a group of pictures or numbers with distinguishing characteristics. The students cross off the pictures as they hear the clues, such as "My favorite clown does not have a pickle for a nose". In the end, they are left with one picture, which they record on their notecard. I am hoping to use activities like these as a warm-up, and eventually segue into some more complex listening activities, such as enjoying some kid-friendly podcasts as a class and recording important information as we go.

One of my goals as a teacher, which will likely not be met for a few years, is to have my students so familiar with the routines and procedures of the classroom that I won't have to say the same thing 8,000,000 times a day. I believe the mark of a great teacher is a classroom where things seem to run smoothly all on their own. The children sit when they need to sit and go to the bathroom when they need to go and, for crying out loud, get out their copybooks when they need to get out their copybooks. But I am not yet a great teacher, as I am reminded many times a day. My hope for now is that by recognizing my many areas of growth, I am already taking the first steps up the mountain of greatness. Until I reach the top, or at least a slightly more elevated ledge, maybe I'll teach my class sign language. Carpal tunnel syndrome, here I come.

2 comments:

Old Teacher said...

zzzYou are so right about good classrooms seeming to work by magic. Outsiders always think the teacher was lucky to get good students when a day with a sub will prove them wrong. The teacher has worked hard to get procedures in place that make everyone comfortable because they understand expectations and feel secure about what they're supposed to do. I've been teaching for a while and I'm still not there. Yesterday my class was so wild that I had a sore throat at the end of the day. So I want you to build your keyboard and I'll order one.

Nicky Harter said...

Lisa ~ I LOVE YOU! I just caught up on your blog and I think you're going to help a lot of people out there, including myself! I'll call soon, but know that you're doing a great job.
Love,
~Nick~

PS: cattle prods work pretty well, at least the cowboy that's volunteering with us now says so :-)